Wednesday, January 24, 2018

What? A post?

Ok so it's been since last August and our return from Edinburgh since I have posted. A lot has happened since then, acting in Breaking the Code with Bette and Wallace was thrilling, with lots of little sidebars of joy, like spending a weekend in the Onteora Mountain House, but from the writing perspective . . . not so much.

I've been writing little vignettes to keep my foot in and that has been nice, with response at the Fringe being wonderful! But . . . and you'll forgive me (or not) for sounding a bit . . . I don't know . . . inflated . . . but I have been walking around with the feeling that something good is on the way, I just haven't been able to corral it yet.

Could it be a piece that is an evening of the vignettes? Possibly. I have four of them now.

I've been thinking a lot about my solo piece Old Hickory in the last couple of weeks in relationship to the #metoo movement that's happening out in the world . . . and wondering if a piece about a guy sharpening his knife awaiting the arrival of his wife who he plans to murder . . . might not be so wonderful.

I have other solo pieces that don't involve such violence, against women anyway, so that's not the problem.

I also considered a piece melding the personalities of a couple of sales types I have known in my life . . . and that might be something . . . but then it struck me: my screenplay The Craftsman. It might just make one heck of a play.

So. I'm gonna start working on that. Read it again and see how it would adapt. There are things in the screenplay you can only do on film . . . but with theater adjustments can be made . . . on the other hand . . . Tony Kushner wrote a play where an angel breaks through the ceiling so maybe I shouldn't worry about restrictions.

Anyway . . . 2018 here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment