Thursday, June 30, 2022

Byrdcliffe Bound

 I was blogging very regularly at one point basically to follow the progress of my first major production of one of my solo pieces, Old Hickory, up at the Woodstock Fringe in the Byrdcliffe Theatre.  That was 2010.

Since then I've posted haphazardly but not all that much.  I think now is a good time to start again, what with the stuff we have going on this summer.  So yeah, it's twelve years down the road, and it's back to Byrdcliffe to do one of my solo pieces.  And yes, still with Wallace Norman and Woodstock Fringe.

This time however it's different.  Three of us are doing solo pieces, Wallace is diving into the deep end of the acting/writing pool doing his first solo piece 'Brother's Keeper'.  And Bette is doing her newest piece 'Doris Does the Edinboiger Fridge'.  Bette is also directing my piece and Wallace's and Wallace is directing Bette's, so it's like we're a mobile, mini Fringe Festival.

The four performances at Byrdcliffe are a warm-up/fundraiser for our adventure abroad, and I am very excited to be able to do these shows there.  It wasn't certain we'd be able to do them there, but Wallace found a way and now we're a week away!

Byrdcliffe really is a special little theater.  It's up on a mountain behind Woodstock and is part of an artists colony that has been there for over a hundred years I think.  It's rustic, and lovely and it feels like home because we've done so much of our work there over the last few years.  Wallace, of course, produced the festival there long before I became involved, but after 'Old Hickory', I did readings of my other solo pieces there, Bette and I were in Wallace's play 'It Can't Happen Here' and then . . . Beckett's 'Happy Days'; what an experience that was!

Byrdcliffe is our artistic home, so it's amazing to be going back there.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment