Friday, January 29, 2010

the deep end of the pool!

I just found out that my solo piece, Old Hickory, has been accepted into the One Man Talking festival in the city. This festival is produced by the Emerging Artists Theater (hereafter EAT) and performed in a 99 seat theater at TADA! It'll go up sometime from mid April to May 9th for one performance.

This is why I have decided to start a blog. I am going to track my progress as I step into the pool and gradually progress to the deep end. I've never done this before, blogging that is, I have thought plenty of times that a diary of sorts for a plays progress would be a cool thing to have. So I'm using this incredible event (for me if no one else) as an excuse to enter the world of blogging.

Since this is the first post, I should bring you up to date: I have been beating around the one person show bush for a while. I wrote a piece about Eugene O'Neill's father, which still might get done some day and it was well received in a couple of writing groups I'm involved in; but it wasn't really something that hit my sweet spot as an actor. Then I hit on the idea of a character talking about his best friend the knife: Old Hickory. I have had a lot of fun with it and have had very supportive response from my writing groups and my wife, who is my most astute critic/supporter. She helped me with focusing the ending of Old Hickory, and really likes the piece. Ditto for Wallace Norman, artistic director of the Woodstock Fringe Playwrights Unit, who is going to direct the piece. Getting Wallace on board was a coup. I love his enthusiasm and insight, he'll be a great collaborator. AND HE CAME TO ME! You could have knocked me over with a feather! Our one rehearsal, so far, was a blast.

Of course, getting the thumbs up from my seventeen year old daughter when she read the play last night didn't hurt either.

Anyway, being accepted for the One Man Talking festival is the impetus for tracking progress via this blog. Should be an adventure. More on everything later. My only hope is that I haven't bitten off more than I can chew . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment