Saturday, January 30, 2010

Where the Rain Never Falls on WBAI!

So today my play was on the radio in NYC, with myself and Norman Marshall performing the two parts. I was happy with it. Didn't know what to expect since we recorded it last March, and I hadn't heard it with the sound effects and music . . . but it went very well. The response was really heartwarming.

It's hard to listen to yourself objectively, but I didn't knock over any furniture or anything and I didn't get in the way. Norman was exquisite and the production on the whole was effective. There are moments that really sail and it was happy to hear it . . . it's been a while.

I actually started working on this piece at Theater Artists Workshop in Norwalk, CT about five years ago and the impetus was seeing Norman playing an autoharp and singing . . . I had thought about writing about trapped miners for some time, and seeing his authenticity made the pieces fall into place. Neither Norman or I acted in the TRU Voices reading (May 05) or the Abingdon Theater readings (Dec. 06 and June 07), but he came back to it last year and suggested I read Dewey . . . which I had a lot of fun with. We did a reading in Jan. 09 and then recorded this in March. it's been quite the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment