Monday, April 16, 2012

Letter of Resignation reading!

Looks like LOR is ready for its big night. Bette and I read our plays to each other on Saturday night and they both seem to be in good shape. And we're both reading on the same night, April 26th in the city; that's a pretty special thing to share. Bette has been getting very good response to her piece at the Fringe workshop and is nervous about unveiling it but she'll be fine. one thing is for sure, you never really know what you have until you put it up in front of people.

For my part, I have been distilling and tweaking LOR for a while now and it seems to be right about where it needs to be, maybe some modest adjustment here and there, but according to Bette it seemed to work quite well. One of the bonus points for LOR is that it is sufficiently different from both Like a Sack of Potatoes and Old Hickory that it could make a nice opener for either one of them.

I'd have to go back a ways to see when I started LOR, but the earliest version I took to workshop last year I think; and it was received ok, but it didn't have the focus it does now. It started as this guy with an employment agency talking about some of the weirdos who come to see him, but it didn't really have an arc; it was more of a this happened then this happened and only after I had let it sit for a while and I came back to it did I see what the real story is . . . it was all in there, I just had to find it.

So a lot of stuff I really liked got jettisoned, but I ended up with a very nice piece. We'll see what everyone else thinks on April 26!

No comments:

Post a Comment