Monday, March 25, 2013

Ann + some random stuff

We went to see the not-quite-solo-show Ann the other night at Lincoln Center (first time at the Beaumont, beautiful space). It is about Ann Richards and was written by and stars Holland Taylor. Bette and I were both interested in seeing this what with all the solo pieces we've been working on in the last few years. I have to agree with both of the Times critics that it could stand some trimming. I suppose they want a full two hour evening, but it did tend to ramble a bit in the second act. It seemed to me like they didn't quite know how to end it . . . at any rate, other than the script issues I'd say it's worth seeing. Holland Taylor was Ann Richards. I don't know her work that well but she really knocked this one out of the park. It was much more than I expected it to be. Very funny and powerful. The reason I called it a not-quite-solo piece is that she did use a voice on an intercom to interact with some . . . so that was kind of cheating, but it worked. The voice on the phone was Julie White who killed in The Little Dog Laughed a few years ago.

The sad thing was that on a Saturday night the place was only about two thirds full. A person I know who invests some in shows, said solo pieces are a tough sell . . . I guess this is a prime example. Charlie Rose was there Sat night, maybe he'll talk it up!

As to my own stuff . . . I've been working on my newest piece in advance of a reading in May. Going through the first draft line by line and deciding what stays and what goes and trying to make something of it. It's a challenge because it's the piece I wrote about a guy posing for a portrait . . . so a lot of internalized stuff . . . kind of stream of conscious . . . but it has to build to something . . . so we'll see what happens . . . speaking of which . . . I have to get at it!

One more thing . . . I got my rejection letter from New Dramatists, but waiting to hear from the NYC Fringe and All For One Festival, also in the city . . . the Fringe announces in late April and AFO in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment