Monday, April 11, 2016

A moment for my poor ignored blog

Time flies don't it? You get up look around and a couple of weeks have gone by without a blog post! So anyway, lots of stuff happening in this most amazing of years. Now we have Like a Sack of Potatoes behind us, next up is the reading of my new piece Writers Block. It's Thursday, May 28th at 7 pm at the Westbeth Community Center. Then there are no other encumbrances to distract from Happy Days (except perhaps working for a living of course!).

I'm pretty happy with where Writers Block is now. Still working on it of course but it will be very nice to see how it goes over with folks. We read the first fifteen pages in the workshop last week and lots of laughs; it seems my surgery on the piece has worked its magic. And the real reconstruction has been in the second act. Vast swaths of the second act are gone now . . . to the extent that what was once an 80 page play is now under 60.

My process involves finding the story a little at a time . . . and then when I finally figure out how to end the piece I have to go back and make sure all the little bits that were written piece-meal fit together into a satisfying whole. A lot of work, but that what it's all about . . . so this is a fun piece. I like the characters, and I like the resolution of the piece . . . swinging for the bleachers . . . and if it works . . . what a rush . . . if it doesn't? Back to the drawing board.

So anyway, lots going on right now and couldn't be happier . . . one thing that does suffer though is this bit of navel gazing . . . but that's ok . . . you can't do everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment