Friday, April 22, 2016

Writers Block around the corner

I took the first ten pages of the second act of Writers Block to the Fringe last night. It went very well . . . my cuts proved to be timely . . . I mentioned in a previous post that the 80 page play is now around 55,and most of that cutting is in act two. Specifically, the first twenty pages of the act. What is now the first page of act two was 23 pages in before . . . a lot of stuff I kind of like got lopped out, but it doesn't really matter whether I like it or not, what matters is if it serves the play . . . and in this case the play is better for the cuts.

So it'll be nice to have the whole thing read in one fell swoop. Last year we only read the first act of Brother of the End of the World, and I really missed not hearing the entire thing . . . but this play is significantly shorter and moves more spryly I think. It got nice feedback last night and some nice laughs (which is the best feedback of all if its in the right places, and it was). So I feel like we're ready. The three actors reading it have pretty much been doing so for the entire time . . . all last fall when I was bringing the piece into the workshop ten - fifteen pages at a time, so they know the parts pretty well and it's fairly ideal. It would be nice to have time for a run through, but I doubt that is gonna be possible.

So we'll see what happens. I'm gonna read stage directions since sitting and listening to a reading of my work is hard, there aren't that many directions and I can make notes in the script real time if something is awry.

I'm ready to start submitting this one now . . . I think it might have a shot at some interest since it's: 1) small cast, 2) one set and 3) a tip of the hat to the creative process.

But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment