Saturday, June 23, 2018

First half recap

A week early, I know, but I was thinking about the year so far as far as my theatrical efforts go.

Nice year so far I'd say.

I spent the spring term of the Woodstock Fringe Playwrights Unit working on The Craftsman, scene by scene.  It was a lot of fun and culminated in the Voices From the Fringe reading.  It was a very satisfying event; made more so by Bette reading her new piece, Glass Slipper, to open the evening.  Her writing just keeps getting better and deeper; a very moving piece.

The reading of The Craftsman was all I would have hoped for, with the unexpected last minute addition of me reading the part of Ralph Peterson, whose two scenes are the heart of the play.  I wrote the part of Ralph for myself over twenty years ago, but had never had the chance to read it, so it was a very special occasion for me.  It was also gratifying to have the array of talent reading for me, and we can't forget Craig's puppet of the Homeless Man that he created FOR THE READING!

Unforgettable evening.

I've kept track of the plays I submit on a spreadsheet; I started doing this four or five years ago as a way to keep track of these things.  I have submitted The Craftsman to seven competitions/theater companies, with more to come, no doubt.  I believe in the piece, and while it scares some folks off due to the potential threat of violence to women . . . the dark comedy aspects of it seem to mitigate those concerns nicely.  None of the women who have heard/seen the play read have expressed concerns regarding our current moment.

I've also submitted Brother of the End of the World seven times this year . . . another recent favorite.

I've gone back in the archives and sent Pigotry to EST (figuring it might benefit from the #metoo moment).  I also sent The Straight and Narrow to a competition.  Interesting that of the fourteen full length plays on my resume, this one isn't on there . . . never had a reading or anything.

And finally I submitted The Rumpled Man for a horror competition.

 Having a body of work in the metaphorical vault, you can respond to just about anything.

We can't forget the reading we did for the Welsh Women's Club either.  Bette read the Glass Slipper there as well, and we read scenes from my sort of in the works series of scenes called Random Encounters.

What does Act 2 of 2018 hold?  Don't know but can't wait to find out!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment