Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Untitled

I read my new piece for Bette a couple of nights ago. She liked it. She had some feedback, which is good because she generally is very insightful, and it definitely left me feeling that I was on the right track. I like the character a lot and a lot of it is touching and funny, but it will take a bit of work to get from here to there, but that's why it's called play'wrighting'. It's a craft, it's work, and it takes focus and an insane level of commitment . . . but if it can lead to something like the performance at Woodstock, then it's really really worth it. Heck, even if it doesn't lead to a production, it's worth it . . . as a songwriter friend of mine once said in the face of frustration: what am I supposed to do, quit?

Quitting: not an option.

I'd like to have the new piece in shape to submit to the One Man Talking festival this year . . . they liked me and I liked them last year, so I think I'd be accepted . . . if that isn't too cocky to say, I do think my piece is worthy though, and will only get better as I keep working on it.

No name yet, though Skill Set sort of leaps to mind . . . unless something better smacks me upside the head.

Got an email from Penguin Rep today to see if I could do a reading for them on Monday; naturally they start work at 1:30 then have dinner and do the reading at night! A year (almost to the day) I was unemployed and could have done something like this; the minute I get a job . . . oh, well . . . I thanked them for thinking of me for it and told them after my first ninety days I get sick time etc, which I could use for just such a thing . . . timing as they say is everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment