Sunday, September 19, 2010

Old Hickory on DVD

So I got the DVD of the final Woodstock performance of Old Hickory in the mail yesterday - thank you Matt!

The quality of image and sound were suprisingly good, but the framing of the shots could have been better . . . but I quibble. Another quibble, since I'm quibbling, was that the the wind and rain were really heavy duty that day, and the kind of space it was, that is almost distractingly audible . . . specially with the wind banging the doors and such. The rain really became torrential right at the end, as Jimmy is wrapping things up and you don't want any distractions . . . that was something to battle let me tell you!

It took a lot to watch it, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was not too painful. I did see things that could be adjusted, but overall the performance wasn't embarrassing and it's really nice to have a record of the event. I'm not sure whether I could use this as a marketing tool though, it's not really professional production quality, but if someone really really really wanted to see it, I guess I'd let them. We'll see when/if the time comes.

But it was fun and brought back some warm memories of my sojourn up there. Idyllic. I only wish it could have been recorded with a more lively audience . . . they laughed some . . . but if we had a tape of opening night I'd get that sucker to everyone. It's kind of hard to believe that it's the same show from the audience's reaction . . . but I guess that's the beauty of live theat-uh. It's a wonderful piece and I am going to continue to get it out there, I'd love to do it in the city . . .

Some of my criticisms of my perf. on the disc: I really lost the voice of the Ex wife as the play went on . . . that's a biggy . . . I'll have to watch out for that going forward. I also thought I was rushed at the opening part of the show, Bette didn't think so, but it seemed that way to me . . . there were some things I could tinker with, but all in all it's a nice record to have.

My new piece gets its first public unveiling on Tuesday night . . . can't wait to see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment