Tuesday, October 5, 2010

OOPS! No Fringe tonight

Luckily I found out before shlepping into the city that there was no meeting of the WF tonight. Next week! good thing I stumbled upon that bit of info; it would have been a bummer to go in for nothing. I decided to post anyway just for fun; I had promised an update on the new solo bit, but that'll have to wait a week. I did go through it last night and made some more adjustments (read that: cuts). This blog is my most consistent writing activity, if that tells you anything!

I don't feel rushed these days; I don't like wasting time, but I also don't like forcing things. When it means something and it's flowing there is nothing like it, writing that is . . . or little that compares. When it ain't? Fuh-get about it. It's all a journey . . . and who knows where it takes you . . . you just have to be open to the possibility and to the impulse.

The people at work are gradually finding out about who I am. A guy came up to me today and was asking about my postcard of Old Hickory, which I have on the wall . . . he said: That's a tree isn't it? I said: Well yes, but it's a play I wrote too. Then it came out that I'm a writer and actor and he said What are you doing here?

Making a living that's what! I guess people don't realize what life in the theater entails, or just how hard it is to make a living or even MONEY doing it. I told him: Mortgage, kid in college . . . that equals a real job . . . would I like to make a living in theater? Three guesses and the first two don't count.

My mother sent me a story from the Charleston, WV paper about a guy who I did a lot of plays with who also packed up and moved. His name is Beech Vickers and we did, wow . . . how many plays together? I don't even know . . . quite a few though. That was a pretty golden time in some ways, theatrical anyway . . . a lot of very talented folks back there . . .

I'm back in the groove with the blog . . . I'm going to try to do something every day . . . even if it's just a little note . . . as long as it's not just flotsam and jetsam . . . we have plenty of that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment