Friday, September 9, 2011

Poe-etry

Looks like Bette and I are gonna participate in a reading of Poe's poetry in Oct. Should be fun. We went and met the guy last night. He has an internet radio station here in Nyack and a little fifty seat theater. The Poe thing sounds like fun and the theater could be a good place to work on stuff potentially . . . we'll see how things develop.

Actually Bette and I did one of my earliest readings at that space. At the time it was called Main Street Arts. We read my play 'Last Request' there. That play is essentially a two hander in the first act and then a third character is introduced in Act 2. Anyway, we had a very nice turnout and had a great time there. A fun anecdote: the guy that played the third character, the ghost of my character's father as it happens, was an actor named Peter Demaio, he had actually had a career on Broadway for a while and understudied the guy in 'Same Time Next Year'. Anyway, I bumped into him as he was walking toward the theater that night and he had this gravelly voice and said 'I don't think I can read, listen to my voice'. I said, 'No you're perfect!' And he was! The cracked voice worked!

Back to Poe: I have to decide what poems I want to read. I'm leaning toward Annabelle Lee (pretty creepy), and another one, the name escapes me just now . . . but I'm leaning toward the dark stuff . . . because he did write some stuff that wasn't so dark . . . but since this is going to be around Halloween it's obvious that a trip to the dark side is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment