Thursday, March 15, 2012

Funny how these things come together . . .

Sometimes you just get pointed in a direction . . . bit by bit things fall into place . . . I heard a news story recently that got me thinking about my hillbilly-gothic-aburdist-environmental-disaster play again. So I started looking at it yesterday and enjoyed it . . . so figured . . . what the heck? (Working title is Hillbilly Absurd, but that could change)

Today I looked at the Dramatists Guild Resource Directory and there are two Appalachian play competitions with entry deadlines of March 31.

So guess what: my plans of placidly taking a month or so to work on my solo piece for my April reading are shelved for a mad dash for the finish line for these two competitions, one at the Barter and the other is the Appalachian play festival in Ashville, NC. I've entered them both before but with kind of straight ahead dramas . . . this one is a bit off center so maybe it'll get some traction . . . either way . . . the gauntlet is down and I'm off to the races . . .

Were I starting a new play from scratch there would be no way of getting it done in the time alotted, but since I have the characters and basic structure in place . . . it ain't impossible. More on this later.

Also, I entered the WV Writers Conference competition for the first time. Sent in 'Where the Rain Never Falls'. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment