Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tonight's the night

And now for the moment we've all been waiting for! I couldn't be more excited. Last night's tech was effortless; the two women who are running lights and sound know what they're about and it was smooth sailing all around. I was happy with the performance; there were notes after, of course, but overall, if tonight's performance hits the marks last night's did, I will be a happy camper. If I patch a few holes - nirvana.

Laurette (my daughter) took photos during the performance and while we were setting things up; I'll bet you we have some hellishly good stuff to use for promotion and what not for this summer. I can't wait to see them, but I will wait until she's there to show me . . . it will just be more special that way. It added so much to have her there doing it; I told her on the walk back to the car, that all those years ago when I'd hike in the woods in West Virginia and visualize a future in the city, right down to wife and daughter, well, it has ended up being pretty much as envisioned, having that daughter taking photos for this possibly defining moment in my life . . . the impact of that is not lost on me . . .

I suppose I risk making too much out of this, but I don't think that's possible really. When given the choice, all those years ago, of the easy path or the path with heart, I took the path with heart and it has lead me to this point. Where it leads beyond this is anyone's guess, but I won't pretend that it means nothing to me or that I don't want this ride to continue. I do. This is the ultimate expression of who I am. A lot of people have contributed to this, and without Bette and Laurette in my corner who knows how much of this would be happening right now . . . it's a journey . . . and I'm staying with it for the duration.

Next stop: this summer's Woodstock Fringe Festival!

So tonight is gonna be magic. We've worked hard at this and it has built to a very good place. I don't feel that we peaked too soon or anything, because last night wasn't the ultimate best this piece can be . . . but just having the stage to work on with the lights . . . it felt so damn right! It's like adding the next to last piece to the puzzle . . . that last piece is the audience . . . and I can't wait!

And those words of Tom Murphy will be the last thing I say to myself before walking onto that stage: Goddamnit, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment