Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Well I survived that one!

Well that last rehearsal was memorable if only for how flat a performance can be! I guess that's the nature of this live performance thing, but it never ceases to amaze. I went in feeling real good . . . ready to rock, but we worked a couple of things first and then did a run through and it didn't feel very good at all. It just shows you, and I've said it before, you have to be ready for anything. Anyway, the characters were flat, my energy was just ok. Some of the long speeches worked, but for the most part: bland. The second time we did it . . . so . . .much . . . better. I felt connected. Wallace was laughing (and how many times has he seen this thing?) . . . an entirely different ballgame. Glad we ended on an up note.

why did this happen? If I were searching for excuses I'd lay some of it on a new room that we hadn't worked in before. The sound really bounced around in there and it was a little disconcerting. But that shouldn't really matter. I'd be worried if it hadn't improved substantially the second time around.

Tonight, a new space! And this one is for keeps . . . well at least for the performance. Of course, this will entail some adjustments. We've been working in these little rooms with maybe half the width of the stage, so it'll be thinking on your feet time. But it will work out. I for one, am really looking forward to it. Wouldn't it suck to get this far and not feel that way? I can't imagine that, but I feel like the work we've done has built a foundation for me to work from that is strong and like Bette says, even if I screw up I can use it. Hell it's my play if I have to rewrite on the fly . . . so be it . . . but I'm reasonably sure that won't happen . . . if I keep my head where it's supposed to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment