Sunday, December 18, 2011

Adventures at BAM, Part 4: A truly grand finale!

The expectation I had for the performance of 'Krapp's Last Tape' with John Hurt, was very high; not least because the production comes from the Gate Theater in Ireland, where the Beckett festival started that I was privileged to experience part of at Lincoln Center a few years back (Godot and Happy Days), and the director also directed Ralphe Fiennes in 'First Love', a Beckett solo piece adapted from his fiction, also at Lincoln Center (and which blew me away)it all added up to much promise . . . almost impossibly high promise.

But it was equal to all my expectations. It was beautifully directed and acted. And it's funny about Beckett, to me anyway, when I see a successful production of his work it's almost like he's in the room with me. I guess you can say that he truly is, through his words, but his work is so deeply meaningful and visceral that it really is alive . . . and so is he. There's some kind of directness to it . . . no melodrama, no bullshit . . . just real, direct communication.

I had never seen John Hurt on stage before, but he was perfect as Krapp. Bette wasn't that enthralled with the Krapp he did as presented as part of the 'Beckett on film' set, but she was the first one out of her seat when the lights came up for the ovation . . . he had just the right balance of playfull and resignation (I almost wrote despair, but I don't think Beckett is about despair really, I think it's more like looking into the abyss, saying 'Oh, really, now what?' and then going on because what are the options?)

In the case of Krapp, the option is celebrating his birthday by listening to tapes he made from previous birthdays; and his reaction to the person he was back then . . . underneath it all, currents of lost love, regrets and reflections on life, with wordplay and humor . . . and the most beautiful writing Beckett ever did, at least in a play. It's a gorgeous play and the production at BAM brought that home . . . the last moment when Krapp is sitting alone in the light and says: 'Perhaps my best years are gone . . . but I wouldn't want them back. Not with the fire that's in me now. No I wouldn't want them back.' is a shattering moment in its simplicity, he says the words and he shows nothing to betray that they aren't true . . . but somehow, you know that he would take them back in a heartbeat . . . if only he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment