Friday, December 2, 2011

Adventures in OMT, Part 3

Sent the application materials to the One Man Talking festival yesterday. This festival has changed my life, that's for sure. It has given me the confidence to keep working on solo material. Two years ago when I applied with Old Hickory I had no idea where that would take me. Working with Wallace led to the Woodstock Fringe performances, which lead to the performances at Arts on the Lake (hopefully this spring some time) and also to this blog, which I started to track Old Hickory's progress!

Last year, with 'The Red Hand of O'Neill', I upped the ante a tad. That one was so far out of my comfort zone it ain't even funny . . . which is one reason I had to do it of course. My only regret with that one was that I didn't work hard enough to build audience because I had no idea it would go so well . . . I kind of kept it under the radar and then wouldn't you know it: I hit it out of the park! Well . . . that one was for me . . . and the ten or twenty people who saw it.

This year, it's back to my hillbilly gothic roots with 'Like a Sack of Potatoes'. This one has the advantage of having been read in Woodstock last summer, and that basically was a performance with script in hand. And it went very very well . . . people responded beautifully and I'm ready to rock with it. Of course, it has to be accepted, but since last year I mentioned Bette maybe doing something and Scott Klavan said just have her put a note about being referred by you . . . so my guess is as long as I want to participate they will let me. Awesome opportunity.

So now I have one more distraction from writing . . . learning the lines. But there is time . . . so I should probably get off my ass and work on whichever of the two solo pieces are drawing me in right now . . . I have to look at them both and see which appeals . . . we'll see. I want to have whichever one ready for the Woodstock Fringe reading series in spring. And obviously, more on that later.

I did get a response from the Downtown Urban Theatre Festival and since this is tagged on to the end of a posting you can probably guess that it wasn't in my favor! Didn't really expect much from that one . . . one thing my stuff ain't is urban!

No comments:

Post a Comment