Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gonna have to write something someday

Lots of distractions right now, so I haven't been all that productive from a writing perspective. But that doesn't stop the voices in my head, the ideas that come out of nowhere (some lost forever because I don't write them down), the constant simmering of stuff I've been working on . . . it all adds up to something and I trust that when the time is right I'll get on with it. I do have three solo pieces I'm working on right now at various stages, though one of them has kind of made the cut for most likely to proceed. I also have been bapping around ideas for a full length . . . and there will come the great nearly audible click when something makes it all fall into place.

And what is so distracting you might ask? Well, since this blog is about my playwright/actor life I won't go into work and family emergencies and such, but there is that. I have been using time that might have been for writing to work on my lines for the soon to come performances of Old Hickory at the Nyack Village Theatre (in Feb. more on that later), and there is the pending notification of at least three things: 1) One Man Talking (which of course will mean learning a new script etc); 2) the New Works Project at Terry Schreiber where my play Dead Authors is a finalist and 3) I just found out yesterday that they plan to announce the finalists on January 20th for the Jewish Play competition. I entered Words of Fire, my Emma Goldman play. I happen to think it has a lot of potential as a play and is topical politically in the extreme . . . and of course, a lot of the characters are Russian Jews . . . but if they are looking for plays about contemporary Jewish life . . . Words won't get it. We shall see. They got a hundred and seventy some entries . . . I'd say Bubbie's blintzes will win out over anarchists plotting to kill Henry Clay Frick any day . . . unless . . .

So other than that nothing's cooking . . . pretty exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment