Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Getting down to it!

Rehearsals are really starting to produce benefits. We are unearthing all kinds of little gems in the piece, some of which, though the script might make it seem obvious, weren't all that obvious to me. Funny how that works. At any rate, the time flies.

I have to say, I was having feelings of 'what have I done' earlier in the day when I was reading through the thing. After a while you tend to lose objectivity, you tend to see nothing but weaknesses and the virtues are less obvious . . . in other words, the rehearsal couldn't have come at a better time. Wallace is very intuitive and supportive, and, not least, encouraging. I left rehearsal feeling a whole lot better.

He confirmed that I will get the March 23rd reading spot, which is sort of a test run to see how it plays. I hope to be able to learn about a page a day; I ought to be able to do better than that, but with a light goal it won't feel so intimidating. The sooner I'm off book the book the better . . . then I can really explore physicality and all the beats. It's pretty rich material so I kind of feel it's up to me to screw it up.

I haven't been in this situation in a looonnnggg time. If ever. When I performed in my one act Thirty Odd Years, it wasn't a solo piece for one thing, and for another it had been previously performed so I knew for a fact it worked. With this one, yeah the response has been pretty phenomenal in the workshops, but we'll see how a paying audience receives it. Of course, that is putting the cart way before the horse.

But as I told Wallace last night after rehearsal: this is everything I had hoped it would be . . . and then some!

I don't know how much of a part of me solo pieces will become, but ideas are popping so I can't rule out doing another one . . . but first things first. If I can nail this one . . . won't it be a wonderful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment