Friday, February 5, 2010

a great audience story

Yesterday I heard from my brother about something unrelated to plays and the like, but I asked him if he had a chance to listen to the broadcast of my play on the radio and he said he had listened to it that day . . . AT WORK! I said: You took an hour and a half at work to listen to the play? And his response was that it was 22 degrees outside and he doesn't sell much roofing material when it's 22 degrees!

Not only did he listen to the play but every person that works for him listened as well . . . now some of these people don't know from plays, probably have never been to a play . . . and they got off on it!!! Of course it being a regional piece and the region in question being where they live it was pretty close to home . . . but my brother said he was something of a celebrity at work that day . . . I got a big kick out of that.

It reminded me of my other favorite audience experience which was when they brought people from a homeless shelter to see the dress rehearsal of my play Thirty Odd Years which was part of a one-act festival in Brooklyn (Gallery Players). These people responded so enthusiastically talking back to the characters . . . the men identifying with Uncle Lee when he describes the abuse he takes from his wife and everybody really, verbally, enjoying the ending. It was a visceral kick I'll tell you that.

I also started a new play yesterday and had another idea for a monologue today . . . so the spark plugs are really firing right now. Which is good. I have generally been able to keep up quite a pace, but there are times when I am more inspired than others. Now seems to be the crest of a good wave and I'm trying to ride it.

the new play that sprang to mind yesterday is sort of a hillbilly absurdist environmental disaster piece . . . there . . . I've coined yet another genre . . . goes quite nicely with hillbilly gothic don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment