Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Something new

I haven't looked over past postings to see if I've mentioned it before, but my hillbilly-absurdist-environmental-tragedy-comedy (as yet untitled) was unveiled for the first time in the Woodstock workshop last night. I had hoped it would be well received and it was. There some questions about change of tone and what not, but all in all the response was better than I had hoped. The best response of course is people laughing and there was plenty of that. You never know with these things. I have had stuff that I love fall flat, but one of the advantages of this workshop is that a) there are a lot of people there and laughter is contagious and b) the actors are really good, and age appropriate. As much as I enjoy being a part of my other groups, there isn't a lot of diversity age-wise, so it can be more of a stretch. Oh, and of course, the first words out of anyone's mouth when they started feedback was: what are ramps? Anytime I've mentioned them in a piece that is the first thing people want to know. It has almost become a cliche!

For those who don't know: ramps are a succulent little onion/garlic like plant that springs up in the woods in springtime. They are yummy little suckers, but pungent isn't a strong enough word. And you do sweat ramp for days after eating them. It never fails that if I mention them in a piece people are intrigued. I ought to make a big batch and bring them in some night . . . that would be an adventure.

as to my buddy Old Hickory: I did make progress with the dreaded line work yesterday. I shouldn't say 'dreaded' because I am enjoying it. tomorrow night will be the test though, when I am actually saying the lines with someone else in the room. Also, I had better make sure I type it up the way I'm doing it. I have made some changes on the fly that I think should stay, so I don't want Wallace to have to follow a script that is beyond it's expiration date. Oh, and Wallace wants to start earlier so we can do three hours instead of two . . . this is gonna be a workout . . . which I am definitely up for. I mean, what is better than to be acting in your own piece? I can't imagine it. I sure enjoyed doing Thirty Odd Years. I'll have to do it more often than once every five years though . . . that's way too long between things. but let me just say this about that: it ain't from lack of trying.

One of the things that finally got me off my butt with this solo piece thing was Bette's experience with a solo show workshop she went to. She said the person teaching the workshop started doing solo shows when she had something of an epiphany. She was auditioning and auditioning and often the shows were shit; so she figured if she was gonna do shit shows, they might as well be her own shit shows. So she started writing and has ended up winning awards and what have you. I am not worried about 'awards and what have you', I am just enjoying the process. It's one foot in front of the other and when you come to a door you open it. Right now I feel as if I'm through one door with a long hall in front of me . . . but it's not a scary hall . . . yet. I'm sure the closer we get to performance the scarier the surroundings will become.

Whatever, I'll be on stage with a knife in my hand . . . I'll be ready for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment