Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A grand unveiling

I hit Bette with the new pages the other day. I was running lines while she watched the book. It went pretty well actually, but more significantly she gave me some feedback that really unblocked an artery here.

I think I had mentioned that I wasn't really sure about the grandmother/grandfather stuff. I really wanted it to work, but I wasn't sure it was working. Bette had a great idea: she suggested moving it back a couple of pages in, so that people get a real sense of who this guy is and get totally sucked into the piece and then tell this story. The way it was before, the second page is all this monology stuff; which may sound weird since the whole thing is a monologue, but it really doesn't feel that way to me; to me it feels like . . . well storytelling. The grandparents bit always felt a bit less organic.

Now it feels better. I also am jettisoning some stuff about killing chickens that always messed me up while learning it and won't really be missed. Now if I can just come up with some malapropisms and a place to put them I think the piece will be ready to roll. Oh! And Bette really liked my zen moment in the woods as well. I'm happy about that because I think it adds something essential to the character, especially coming as it does right at the doorway to the big confrontation!

I'm getting my proof for the postcards today . . . can't wait to see them and get them out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment