Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Work to do!

So I ran OH yesterday, with new material added, and it went pretty well . . . until I checked the time! Forty three minutes!!!!! What?! It was forty minutes in April. I've added probably close to ten pages . . . What? Ok, so maybe my pace was a bit too fast. I'll try it again today and see what happens. If I have to write more I will . . . I'm sure I can think of a sordid misadventure from my sordid past that would make for a nice sordid addition to the play. But what a shock! Only three minutes longer? You could have knocked me over with a feather.

But ok. Not the end of the world. The pace was more like a speed through I guess. I didn't realize that at the time, but I guess it was. So take a deep breath . . .

Anyway, enough of that. I've talked to a few people who are coming. If someone hasn't been to Woodstock for a while, it really is a good excuse to go . . . and it's a nice setting for this show, kind of a backwoodsy feel to it.

Yesterday I was in the hammock (my favorite place by the way) writing and came up with some good stuff. There's a story I've always wanted to have in a play but could never find the right one: I was in the woods one time and saw this leaf disengage from its branch and slowly, almost like slow motion, drift to the ground. And then when it hit the ground, though it was maybe fifty feet away, I could clearly hear it. That seemed like a real zen kind of moment to me . . . and I've always wanted to incorporate it into a piece . . . so I am trying it in the section about the place in the woods where Jimmy buries his dogs, which is kind of a sacred place to him anyway. I think/hope it works. Heaven knows we need the time!!!

I also added some stuff suggesting that the ex didn't much care for Jimmy's family . . . if I need to beef anything up this might be where I could do it; maybe something about how his friends and family react to her or something . . . I'll find it . . . I may have to move mountains to do it, but I'll find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment