Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Last workshop til fall

So last night was the last workshop of the Woodstock Fringe Playwrights Unit until fall. What a wonderful group it is. Lovely people. Generally good work. Just a delight. Really got a chance to see the hard-ass side of Wallace. During my scene (I took seven more pages of the new piece) a couple of women came in, obviously looking for a different group and asking questions rather loudly in the back of the room . . . well Wallace (who was in the scene) was up out of his chair and getting them the hell out of there in no uncertain terms .. . they sure won't open that door without thinking twice again!

I had hesitated to take the new pages but figured what the hell. I had felt kind of like I was plodding along when I wrote this part and still don't know where the hell it's going, but I figured I'd take it and see what happens. It went surprisingly well. One of my big questions was whether thirty pages in is too long to wait for the father in the piece to describe his money making scheme. And I should point out the the pages I took ended in the middle of his monologue because I haven't decided just exactly what that money making scheme looks like yet!

At any rate, during the feedback, Mindy (one of the writers in the group) said it was just the right place to reveal his plan, not too late at all. so that was good to hear. If I can just figure the piece out won't that be special!!! But that's part of the fun/torture of writing: diving in and seeing what happens. Sometimes it works and sometimes . . . well let's just say I have a whole shizer load of partly written plays in boxes and drawers just waiting to be cracked.

I don't know how I've waited this long to get to it, but Wallace said I'd probably be opening the festival this year, or at least in the first two weeks. That's exciting! He also had me send him the pix for use on their website . . . I have a feeling that once the ball starts rolling it's really gonna move . . . so I'd better get on learning the new lines and writing any additions I want . . . this is gonna be a summer to remember!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment