Saturday, July 10, 2010

Well I have been back for a few days, but haven't taken the initiative to post anything, so here goes!

I really felt apprehensive about Old Hickory after my WV visit. I hadn't gotten the chance to really work on it for several days in a row, and that is highly unusual! Not many days have gone by since January without a run through of this thing .. . but my concerns were unfounded. I came back and worked it some and today got a good solid run in, so I'm feeling fairly confident . . . and really looking forward to rehearsals. It's just a few days over a month until we open up there in Woodstock (I love the sound of that . . . performing my play in Woodstock!!!!!!!) I'm sure things are going to get rolling pretty soon so it'll be like a juggernaut with a life of its own . . . what a wave to be swept into! I'm still pinching myself . . . and I have to be sure to appreciate every second every nuance of the process from here to close. I'm very proud of the piece and what it has become . . . and I am ecstatic about the opportunity to act in it . . . that may sound weird, but if I could pick a dream role this would be it: an earthy guy with a little wisdom and a little humor . . . and more than the hint of danger. Who could ask for anything more? Which . . . I guess . . . is why I wrote it ;>)!

And I get to perform it seven times over two weekends . . . what an honor (not to mention having Wallace invite me to the festival, who could imagine this shit? Ok so it's not The Public Theater, but hey I'm happy!) As Bette reminded me the other day, this is my first major production outside of twenty minute one-acts . . .

About future venues: I saw an ad on Playbill.com for a new theater looking for solo shows . . . preferably performed by the writer! Ok, so I bit . . . they said it's a new theater called the CP Playhouse or something . . . they want shows that will run for 3-4 weeks in the fall . . . I went for it. Big time. I sent the script as they requested, I also sent both acting and writing resumes AND the powerpoint presentation about OH. That powerpoint piece is very well done if I do say so myself . . . I think it's the kind of thing most writers don't think to do . . . actually, I'm sure a lot of people have DVDs of their work which is probably even better. That is something I have to explore with Wallace. I'd love to get a recording of this.

I'm also starting to rev back up for the new piece, I'd love to finish a draft of it by the end of July. I have other ideas as well: I'd love to be able to research and write about the Kanawha book protest in the early seventies . . . rife with possibilities. There is also an idea I stumbled upon while in WV. I saw a story about a woman who had her husband exhumed and kept him at her home for twelve years or something . . . talking to him and caring for him . . . twisted stuff . . . and then when her twin sister died a couple of years ago, she collected her body too! I have some ideas for that one . . . but I haven't done anything about it yet . . . I should probably make some notes just so I don't forget any ideas!!!

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment