Saturday, January 8, 2011

got up and wrote

Got up this morning and instead of heading right out for the Y, I headed right into my new script and got some time in working on that. Nice. I would have a lot more time for the writing activities if I didn't spend time running and working out at the Y, but you know what . . . keeping it together healthwise is pretty important too, and starting the day with some adrenaline is a great way to get pumped for work . . . but the down side is I have to squeeze in the writing . . . it'll be easier when it is warmer out and I can run in the evenings if I'm so inclined, but I'm finding the balance and trying to maintain it.

I have decided that the new piece, instead of being two acts, will be one long thing sans intermission . . . I think that's a good idea . . . we'll see. That way there is no interruption to the flow and you can just keep the tautness intact . . . when I work through this draft and see what I have I'll have a better idea how it's all working, and if it's working . . . I'm cutting a lot, adding some . . . going through every line and not being sentimental about it; it may be something that I kind of liked, but if it strays from the path . . . off with its head!

One of the earliest cliches you learn in this writing stuff is all too true: sometimes you have to kill your babies. Never easy, but it can be done. Discipline and focus . . . you have to be disciplined enough to know when you have to cut something and just do it and you have to be focused enough to recognize that which needs to be excised . . . and to know when it goes off the rails.

May actually have worked through this bad boy by weekend's end . . . then I get to type in all those changes . . . and more rewriting while I do that . . . it never ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment