Saturday, February 19, 2011

So where've I been?

I can't believe how long it's been since I posted anything; and in the midst of all this activity!

So I'll play catch up: Old Hickory is moving right along. The dates are set and we're all meeting on March 5 to see the space and the like. I'm really looking forward to it. I can't get enough of this piece. I've been running it on my own just to make sure the lines are solid, now I'm also starting to rework some of the blocking, but I won't know what to do about that until the meeting when I'll find out more about the space and tech capabilities. I don't care. I could do this in your living room. It's just such a pleasure to do . . . and it's a rush . . . I know I've said it before but performing in your own piece is truly the ultimate creative experience in theater. Yes you can act in other people's plays and really touch people; you can write plays that other people act in and really touch people; you can direct plays written by others and acted by others and touch people . . . but nothing comes close to holding the stage . . . alone . . . saying words, telling a story, that you created. Nothing. Comes. Close. It'll live with me forever.

I'm also waiting to hear from the One Man Talking Festival about my O'Neil play. We'll see what happens with that. I did get an email from them the other day, they had a problem opening the file of my script . . . seems it was embedded somehow in the whatever . . . well . . . I warned them in my cover letter that I was technically challenged. So to their credit they didn't disqualify me, but asked to see the script . . . don't know for sure when I'll hear, but it could be soon.

I also took the first 15 pages of Family Matters to the Fringe workshop. That was fun. It was the first time I had heard it read by others. Bette and I had done several readings of it before, but I hadn't heard it. Nicola Sheara and Norman Marshall (my buddy from Rain) read the two parts. It was lovely. They really got it. I knew they would. Might have to take in the rest over the next few meetings.

My other new piece I have been letting sit for a while now. In fact, it may be about time to look at it again, on the other hand, my plate is kind of fullish so it can wait in line. From a triage standpoint it may not be the most pressing thing right now. I have been having some ideas burbling around about new pieces . . . uh . . . oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment