Saturday, December 11, 2010

100th Post!

I just noticed when I signed on that this is my 100th post! That's cause for celebration! I wish I had something significant to talk about but I guess the fact that I am still blogging away and walking the earth is good enough when you get right down to it.

So maybe I'll use this post to reflect a little on the past year, because this year has been significant to say the least. #1 of significance is Laurette blossoming in college. I knew she would but the transition from HS to college is full of land mines and a lot could go wrong. She has hacked through the underbrush though and found her way, she is gonna be just fine. #2 in the highlight reel of '010 is of course: Old Hickory. The journey to get that piece from paper to performance was and will probably always be, the theatrical highlight of my life. Having the ability to work as long and hard on it as we did, Wallace and I, was precious time to me, and every step, the reading, the One Man Talking, the rehearsals and performances in Woodstock is all stuff that I will never forget. I still pinch myself when I think of how cool it was hanging on the porch in Woodstock listening to the night sounds, and then waking up and rehearsing all day; painters from the artist colony outside their cabins working . . . it was all pretty damn idyllic and I appreciate all of it. And it is all because Wallace Norman saw something in that piece . . . he is a saint and a visionary as far as I am concerned.

A lot of sidebars could split off the Old Hickory thing: the review, the radio interview, bumping into a guy months later who saw the play and liked it . . . so many things, so many memories. It was great. Of course one of the most important events to come out of Old Hickory is this blog! I started it to track the progress of rehearsals and what have you and it has become something of a diary for me . . . albeit one that I am not exactly regular in attending too (apologies for that). But it has been fun for me and I enjoy it . . . so I am sticking with it.

What is next for Old Hickory? Wish I knew. There is the possibility of production in Carmel, NY sometime this winter. I have also applied to the Dramatists Guild for a one day self-production seminar . . . if I get into that maybe that will inspire me in that (somewhat scary) direction.

Also this year, I guess it would be #3 in the significance rating, was the radio presentation of Where the Rain Never Falls. That was pretty damn cool.

#4 is not my thing but Bette's. The guy that was gonna make a film of her one act is actually doing it, they have been bouncing ideas back and forth re the script so all is moving forward there, it looks like it's actually gonna happen!

So all that has happened in the span of time covered by the 100 posts. It has been an amazing time of artistic growth and expansion. It has had its frustrations but overall, I wouldn't change much about it.

Going forward? Well, I'm working on the new two hander, taking Family Matters to the Fringe group this winter, submitting the O'Neill play to One Man Talking (I just decided that yesterday) and still planning on the marathon piece (if I can shake this damn flu/cold thing and get back to running!). Also other submissions to things as appropriate.

I thank everyone who reads this, whoever you are and hope you are around for the next 100 posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment