Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What? Two posts in one day!

It just occurred to me that today is the anniversary of the Silver Bridge falling. I lived in Pt. Pleasant WV then and was on the bridge about fifteen minutes before it fell. Bumper to bumper traffic . . . we felt a rumble and my dad thought it must have been the concrete truck in front of us grinding gears or something . . . who could have imagined.

We had time to get home, and the lights flickered. A few seconds later my mother, who was a stringer for the Huntington paper, got a phone call from her boss telling her that the bridge had fallen and to get down there. She told him she had just been on the bridge and it was fine . . . of course, he was right.

At any rate, that was a close call. I can't let the date pass without mentioning it. To this day, if I'm in traffic on a bridge I get a little nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment