Thursday, February 23, 2012

First rehearsal of Like a Sack of Potatoes!

Started rehearsing with my director last night . . . that'd be Bette (my wife for those who don't know). It was exciting to start working on Like a Sack of Potatoes . . . and really nice not to have to drive home afterwards!

I have been working very methodically on learning the lines, shooting for a page a day and while I could do more, this way it isn't driving me so crazy. I should be off book by this weekend, and then it's off to the races.

We had a real good rehearsal last night. Finding the nuance in the piece, the light parts where the dark starts to creep in. Sometimes you come to these things with certain assumptions and you find that . . . well . . . sometimes those assumptions are just wrong! I have found that staying open to input from others can lead to finding great things that you might not have known were there . . . yes . . . even though you created the damn thing!

I can't wait to get this up and running . . . as of right now I have about two and a half pages yet to learn so I feel like I'm in good shape. And I am certainly in good hands as far as directors go. I've been lucky so far, I've never had a director who was an ass or who tried to impose his vision on my work (with the notable exception of the guy who was to direct a film of Damage Control . . . what a nightmare!)

Wallace set the bar incredibly high with his insight, vision and love. And Bette, who has all those things in spades (and of course directed me in Thirty Odd Years some time ago) is right up there with him. Our first rehearsal last night was smooth sailing and fun . . . work yes . . . but what would you rather be doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment