Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hillbilly absurd

Last night at the Playwrights Unit I took the remaining pages of my hillbilly-gothic- environmental-disaster-absurdist-comedy; someday I may actually come up with a name for it! It was fun. I'm not sure where to go with it, but the characters are rich and the potential is there for a lot of fun . . . and it is timely . . . I have to decide which environmental disasters to include or maybe it can be all of them; I don't know why oil wells can't crop up in Appalachia . . . I don't think, they do, but why can't they . . . hell it's an alternative universe after all, I can do anything I want!!!!

Not sure when, but I do want to revisit this piece.

I think I can safely now say that my goose is cooked for the two remaining competitions that announce in May. One of them, the history competition, announces at their event this Sunday, so I'd think that if you were getting an award there you'd know by now. The other one, I don't know . . . I even emailed to ask about when they'd announce, but got no response to that . . . I hate being in limbo, but that's sort of where the playwright spends a lot of time. Better to keep writing and stop worrying!

There is only one more session left for Woodstock Fringe Playwrights Unit this spring, and then its off until fall. Too bad. I really do enjoy the people. It's a fun group and totally non-bullshit. I guess the upside is that I can return to the Hudson Valley Professional Playwrights Lab! Last year the meetings didn't conflict, for some reason they did this year . . . HVPPL is also good people, and I've been a member for over ten years! The down side is the absence of actors and not all playwrights are good readers, but the feedback rocks and has always been very helpful, and as I said the folks are friends of long standing .. . it's a nice group. Try as I might though I just can't perfect the being-two-places-at-once thing.

Today I'm getting the folders to send the marketing pieces out in. I addressed the envelopes yesterday and then it's cast to the fates. Not sure how much good it will do if any, but it'll remind the folks that I'm stroking away and making progress. I'm sending it to: Abingdon Theatre, Hudson Stage Company, Penguin Rep and Actors Theatre of Louisville. I have this nagging feeling I'm missing someone I should be sending to, but for the life of me I can't think who. Maybe Barter. I reached out to Nick Piper about Damage Control years ago (saw him in a one act along with one of mine at the Pulse Theater and was impressed) and now he's AD at Barter. Again, can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment