Friday, May 14, 2010

So what is a speed date?

Glad you asked. I didn't know what to expect, but as it happens, it sounds like a lot of fun, if a bit manic. Here's how it works. We first get an hour with our coach, then eleven writers go in and meet eleven producers, a bell or whistle or something goes off and you pitch the first one; then there is time for a response, questions or what have you, then there is another bell or whistle or whatever and you move to the next one . . . it sounds like a blast, like it will be rather tiring, but possibly worthwhile . . . if I were one of the producers I'd have to be wondering just what I got myself into right about now!

I reworked all my pitch stuff and came up with a much better attention grabber, which leads naturally into the next thing . . . I just hope I can do it ten or eleven times in a row in an hour!! On the other hand, how cool would it be to have a mess of producers fighting over my play!!! At the very least they should come upstate and see it. I think having that in front of me and having the One Man Talking in the recent past is going to put me in a very strong position.

I did something I don't normally do today: I emailed the person who had told me At Death's Door was a finalist in their competition over a month ago and asked when they expect the decision to be made . . . if I'm not mistaken this same competition wasn't so good at following up on one other occasion, I might be wrong . . . but we'll see. My guess is that the decision has been made, but they just haven't announced it yet.

More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment