Monday, August 23, 2010

Well . . . that was special!!

Despite the flippant tone of the subject line, it actually was special. I didn't know what to expect going into the Fringe, but it exceeded anything I might have imagined; excepting audience size . . . that was a disappointment, but people up there don't know me so why should they show? Maybe based on the success (artistically and critically)more folks would show if I had another piece in next year's festival . . . that's something I have to work toward. . . not out of the realm of reason that it should come to pass. Be that as it may, I can only look back on the experience of the last few weeks/months with real love and a certain pride of accomplishment.

I went into this thing open to anything and came out with nothing that I can point to that I would say, Oh I wish I'd done this better or differently or anything of the sort. I was open to Wallace's direction and insights, and I acted with professionalism and enthusiasm (I think). We had no fights or blow-outs . . . maybe one small misunderstanding, but the regard we hold for each other kept the ship sailing smoothly and audience response was so overwhelmingly wonderful that I have to feel that we did what we set out to do.

All in all a marvelous experience that I wouldn't trade for any amount of money. As someone said yesterday, Byrdcliffe was the perfect place for this piece, and they are right; as it is out of the way, up a mountain in the woods - so when I talk about the place being quiet and stop to listen . . . guess what: it's pretty damn quiet . . . we'd never get that in the city . . . or anywhere else for that matter.

So the journey continues. Working on a new piece perhaps . . . and/or finding another home for Old Hickory. Though this blog started as a way to track Old Hickory's progress, I am going to keep at it. For one thing . . . Old Hickory ain't dead yet, and for another . . . you might note that the name of the blog isn't RicsOldHickoryblog, but Ricsplayblog. So I will continue. I enjoy it and it's sort of therapeutic in a way. If anybody out there reads this I have no way of knowing it, so let me know if you check it out from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment